A handsome prince was turn into a hairy beast because he made fun of a witch for being ugly, and he falls in love with a beautiful girl named Belle, but fears she won't like him for his new look. He plans to give her a rose to show how much he cares for her, but instead his uncontrollable fits of anger cause her to become scared and untrusting of him. Beast must now get help from his friends (talking objects from the around the house) to overcome his anger and show Belle the true "soft giant" he truly is.
- The Beast/Prince
- The film spawned two direct-to-video sequels.
- While his true name is never mentioned in the media franchise, it has been confirmed by the CD-ROM tie-in game ("The D Show") and the Beauty and the Beast Broadway musical that the Beast's real name is Prince Adam
- Robby Benson's voice was altered by the growls of real panthers and lions so that it is virtually unrecognizable. This is why near the end when the Beast transforms into the prince his voice changes.
- The film was the first animated film nominated with Best Picture, but lost to The Silence of the Lambs.
- Three of the film's songs were nominated for Best Song- the winner was "Beauty and the Beast".
- The film also won the Academy Award for Best Original Score.
- The last Oscar nomination the film got was for Best Sound, but lost to Terminator 2: Judgment Day.